> Home
> About Us
> What's New
> Philip West
> Stephen Brown
> Collectors Club
> Originals
> Published work
> Contact Us
> Links

"Maximum Effort"
by Philip E. West

Philip West is recognised as one of the world's finest aviation artists. Collectors of his original oil paintings span the globe, many waiting patiently for his next breathtaking canvas to appear. Self taught, Philip has won many accolades for his paintings, not the least of which was the prestigious Duane Whitney Award for Excellence at the 1997 American Society of Aviation Artists Exhibition.

Sergeant Idris (Taff) Arndell volunteered for Air Crew at age 17 and was called up just before his eighteenth birthday for Wireless Operator and air gunnery training. Later joined No. 101 Squadron serving with "Rusty" Waughman (see below) and sharing in at least two near fatal mid-air incidents. Idris went on to fly with Wg. Cdr. Alexander on the last of the "Battle of Berlin" missions, completing his tour on 4th June 1944. He later returned to operational duties, including the "Manna" relief drops and the last raid over Bertesgarten.

Flying Officer Ken Brookin volunteered and joined the RAF in 1942 aged 19. Trained in Canada, he was subsequently posted to No. 101 Squadron in 1944, flying 32 Ops. (inc. three "Manna" drops on Holland and one repatriation of P.O.W's) Ken flew Lancaster R-Roger (in the painting) to Bottrop on 3rd Feb. 1945. Flying from Ludford Magna on Christmas eve, his aircraft returned on Christmas Day from a raid on Cologne to find Ludford was blanketed in thick fog. Ken recalls landing using FIDO on "bent radar beams; an interesting but frightening experience."

Flt. Lt. Len Hampton was in the 80th Regt. Royal Artillery Territorial Army when he was called up ten days before the war broke out. He later transferred to the RAF and became a pilot in 1942. Len served as a Flying Instructor, flying Oxfords and Wellingtons before reaching No. 101 Squadron shortly before the war was ending. He subsequently transferred to the RAVR and was recalled as a Flying Instructor in 1951 when he worked on Hastings in Transport Command and later on Varsitys in Development Squadron, finally leaving the RAF in 1964.

Flt. Lt. Ronald Homes DFC joined the RAF in March 1942 and after initial training, went to Terrell, Texas, USA for his flying training, where he gained his wings in May 1943. He returned to the UK and joined No. 101 Sqdn. in May 1944, going on to complete 32 Ops. over Europe. After his bombing tour he converted onto Dakotas, joined No. 238 Sqdn. and flew out to India and Burma, then on to Australia and the South Pacific. After the Japanese surrender he joined 1315 Flight and flew up to Japan with the occupation forces.

Sqn. Ldr. Tony (Charlie) Neve M.B.E. was taught German at school and visited Germany as a guest of the Hitler Youth! Having survived the bombing of his home-town of Bristol, he decided to retaliate and volunteered for aircrew in September 1942. After a spell of training in Canada as an Air Gunner he returned to England and was posted to No. 101 Squadron where he trained and operated as a Special Duties Officer, finally completing 31 Ops. Tony flew in SR-W (to the right of the painting) on 11th November 1944 during a raid on Dortmund.

Sergeant John Rees joined the RAFVR from school in 1943. He went on to join No. 101 Squadron during 1944 as a Sergeant Special Duty Operator (the 8th crew member). John flew in 13 different 101 Sqdn. Lancaster bombers (including both the main aircraft depicted) on bombing operations to Chemnitz, Merseburg, Kleve, Dessau, Kassel and Misburg. At the conclusion of his full operational tour (Aged 19½ ) he was commissioned as a Pilot Officer and left Ludford Magna on a posting to the Far East. He continued to serve in the RAF until 1975. Group Captain Rees is currently Chairman of the 101 Squadron Association.

Flt. Lt. Cyril Rogers D.F.C. volunteered for the RAFVR in January 1940. Trained on Tiger Moths and Airspeed Oxfords, he was awarded his wings and went on to become a Navigation Instructor, teaching Free French aircrews. Commissioned in 1943 he trained on Wellingtons, Halifaxs and then Lancasters before being posted to No. 101 Squadron in 1944. Upon completion of his tour he was awarded the DFC. Raids he flew on included the Ruhr and Bertesgarten. Cyril was also on "Operation Exodus" and "Manna" relief drops.

Sergeant James W. Rooke joined the RAF in 1942 after two years in the ATC in London. On completion of Air Crew training he joined No. 101 Sqdn. as a Lancaster rear gunner with F/O Erik Nielsen (RCAF). He flew 33 Ops. including the Kiel Canal and "Happy Valley". Flying in SR-R on 4th November 1944 the aircraft was badly shot-up as a result of very heavy flak over Bochum in the Ruhr Valley. (Erik went on to become Deputy Prime Minister of Canada)

Warrant Officer Douglas W.A. (Shorty) Satherley volunteered to join the RAF in 1941, after the Blitzs on Bristol. He served as an Instrument Repairer before volunteering for aircrew in August 1943. Posted to No. 101 Squadron Ludford Magna in October 1944 . After three operations as a Rear Gunner with 101 Sqdn. he accepted training at P.F.N.T.U. Warboys in November 1944 and joined 582 P.F.F. Sqdn. After completing 1½ tours Doug volunteered for a posting to 97 Sqdn. RAF Coningsby where his training was completed for 'Tiger Force' Far East Operations, 1945.

Sergeant Stan Waind (DFM) completed 31 operational sorties with No. 101 Squadron as Flight Engineer, this prior to his 20th birthday! Commissioned at the end of his stay with 101 Sqdn. he was posted to HQ 229 Group Transport Command, New Delhi. After a short spell of admin. duties he applied to be returned to flying duties, resulting in a posting to No 215 Sqdn. Singapore where he took up the position of Co-pilot/Flight Engineer with the crew responsible for flying VIPs across South-east Asia.

Flt Lt Russell (Rusty) Waughman DFC, AFC, volunteered for the RAF in 1941. After training in Canada, he qualified as a heavy bomber pilot. In November 1943 he was posted to No 101(Special Duties) Squadron at Ludford Magna. He completed a tour of operations, which began during the 'Battle of Berlin', where they did several operations. Surviving a mid-air collision, only to write the aircraft off on landing, 'Rusty' and his crew on a subsequent flight had a miraculous escape when their aircraft was blown upside down, over the target, at Maillyp-le-Camp; they also survived the Nuremberg raid on 30th March 1944, when 97 aircraft were lost - including about one quarter of 101 sqn strength that night.



E: sw@swafineart.com
Copyright SWA Fine Art Publishers.